When most people think of home insurance, they probably picture coverage for things like fire damage, theft, and natural disasters. However, there are some truly strange things that can be covered by home insurance policies. Here are 10 of the weirdest things that could be covered by your home insurance:
- Alien Abduction: While it may seem like something out of a science fiction movie, some insurance companies actually offer coverage for abduction by extraterrestrial beings. Of course, the likelihood of this happening is incredibly low, but for those who want to be prepared for any eventuality, this coverage is available.
- Falling Aircraft: While you might not think of a plane crash as a common occurrence, it can happen. And if an aircraft were to fall from the sky and damage your home, your home insurance policy might cover the cost of repairs.
- Civil Unrest: If your home is damaged during a riot or other civil disturbance, your home insurance policy might cover the cost of repairs. This coverage can also extend to damages caused by acts of terrorism.
- Cryptocurrency Theft: As cryptocurrencies become more popular, some home insurance policies now offer coverage for theft or loss of digital assets. This can include things like bitcoin, ethereum, and other cryptocurrencies.
- Falling Objects: If a tree or other object falls on your home, your home insurance policy will typically cover the cost of repairs. This can also include things like a meteorite falling from the sky.
- Identity Theft: Some home insurance policies now offer coverage for expenses related to identity theft, such as legal fees, lost wages, and other costs associated with restoring your identity.
- Sinkholes: While rare, sinkholes can cause serious damage to homes and other structures. If your home is damaged by a sinkhole, your home insurance policy might cover the cost of repairs.
- Power Outages: If a power outage causes damage to your home or the appliances and electronics inside it, your home insurance policy might cover the cost of repairs or replacements.
- Dog Bites: If your dog bites someone on your property, your home insurance policy might cover the cost of medical bills and legal fees. However, some insurance policies exclude certain breeds of dogs from coverage.
- Space Debris: While it’s unlikely, space debris can fall to earth and cause damage to homes and other structures. If your home is damaged by space debris, your home insurance policy might cover the cost of repairs.
In conclusion, home insurance policies can cover a wide range of unexpected events, including some truly strange ones. While some of these events may seem far-fetched, it’s always better to be prepared for any eventuality. If you have questions about your home insurance coverage, it’s always a good idea to speak with your insurance agent to make sure you understand what is and isn’t covered.